Saturday, September 17, 2011

Yarn Wreath Tutorial

I love seeing all the Fall wreaths floating around in blogland...
I've honestly never been much of a wreath person, but I have loved the yarn and felt ones I've seen this year...so I decided to dig into my stash and see if I could find the stuff to make one without me having to buy anything...and I succeeded!

I started out by hunting around for something to make my wreath form out of...I ended up using this old basket weaving kit...

Looking back now, I probably should have just went and bought an actual wreath form, but It was late and I didn't feel like going into town...lol...so this did work ok in a pinch.
I cut and wrapped pieces until I had the shape like i wanted it...
Then I wrapped the entire thing with duct tape..I did this so I wouldn't have pieces of wood sticking out in odd places, and it just made it easier to wrap with the yarn since the surface is now smooth...

In this step you can see the problem I ran into by not using a wreath form...There's a big bump where I had to join the two ends to create my circle...I almost stopped working on it, then I decided that's just where I'll put my flowers..lol  :0)...Problem solved!
I used this Vanna's Choice yarn in Color 13 Dusty Green
To wrap it start by tying a knot around your wreath form.
Then just continue to wrap, and wrap, and wrap...be very careful to line each row up to the next so it stays nice and neat. This step will take a while...It took me a little over an hour, and I wrapped it while I was watching tv...The bigger your form though the longer it will take and the more yarn it will use.
Here's what mine looked like when I was done wrapping it. Make sure and knot off your yarn on the back of your wreath and tuck in your yarn ends.

The next step I did was to hot glue on my felt flowers.
I haven't made a tutorial yet on how I made the felt flowers, but I will link it to this post once I have.

Here's my finished wreath...I have to say for the first wreath I've ever made I'm pretty happy overall how it turned out.  :0)



2 comments:

  1. I like your wreath. It turned out great. It is so cool that you made your own form:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! The yarn wrapping looks like it would take forever...wish I had the patience because the effect is great. I love your felt flowers too; I like how big they are and the colors you used! I'd be so excited for you to link this to my door decor challenge here:

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/falling-for-crafts-challenge-3-door.html

    ReplyDelete