Thursday, October 7, 2010

ConKerr Cancer

I received an email today about a donation campaign going on in my area for ConKerr Cancer. This is a wonderful group that makes cheerful pillowcases for children in hospitals who have Cancer. The ones made through this campaign will be going to our new Riley Children's Hospital  at Gateway Hospital here in my hometown (Evansville, IN)...This is an important project to me for a couple of different reasons...

My Grandpa just passed away from Cancer within this last month. No, he was not a child, but Cancer affects all of us. Not only the person going through it, but their entire family and friends. It's a horrible disease.

Riley Children's Hospital is important to us because they do great things for kids. It is where our youngest son had his surgery at 6 weeks old to correct his Imperforate Anus, and also where my nephew just had surgery to correct a heart murmur. They are an amazing hospital who do amazing things for children.

This is something so simple, that even beginners can do with no problem, that will not take up a lot of your time, and that will bring a lot of joy to a chronically ill child and their family.



In just over two years ConKerr Cancer has...

  • Delivered over 240,000 cheerful pillowcases to sick children in hospitals across the country.

  • Established 117 chapters (so far) serving children in 203 hospitals and pediatric hospices across the United States, Canada, South Africa, the UK, and Israel.

  • Recruited Thousands of volunteers -young and old - to sew and donate pillowcases

  • Recognized nationally by Martha Stewart, Omni Media, Talbots, Bank of America, Pfaff, and Loreal.







So here's what I'd like everyone to do:

 
Go through your fabric stash for any fun,bright,cheerful
 material you might have that you would be willing to
 part with to make pillowcases.

Go here to get the pillowcase directions

Once made please wash them for the protection of the
children with suppressed immunity.

Place each pillowcase in a Ziploc bag.

You may include a note of encouragement for the sick
child if you would like.

Contact me for contact information to get the pillowcases
to me. These MUST be given to the representative for
ConKerr Cancer! DO NOT deliver to the hospital yourself.
I will collect them then get them to the appropriate place.
I must receive these no later than Nov. 3, 2010


I know there is a few of you out there who can't sew, or
don't have time. If you would still like to do something to
help, you can get the material to me and I can make
your pillowcases for you or you can click here to give a
monetary donation straight to ConKerr Cancer.



ConKerr Cancer is a 501 (c) 3 charitable organization.
All donations of money, materials, and pillowcases are
tax deductible under current IRS rules.


Pass this message along to your friends also...
This is something that school groups, sewing circles,
church groups, fabric stores, girl scout troops, etc
could all  pitch in and make pillowcases for the kids.


Please let me know if you plan to participate, and if
I can figure out how, I'll make a button for you to post
and a linky party to show off all the awesome
pillowcases.


Thanks!  :0)























































1 comment:

  1. That's cool. A local quilt shop collects these to distribute through ConKerr as well. That's cool that you're collecting them. Never thought to use my blog to offer to collect them...

    ReplyDelete